A Year of Growth and Impact: SPS’ 2023 in Review
As we bid farewell to 2023, it’s a time to reflect on the journey, celebrate achievements, and express gratitude for the collective efforts that have propelled SPS to new heights. Our team is proud to have reached milestones, weathered challenges, and emerged stronger and more resilient than ever. Despite economic challenges brought by 2023, SPS rose to the occasion with its thirteenth consecutive year of top-line revenue growth since our founding in 2009 and our highest client retention rates yet!
Join us as we take a closer look at some of the highlights of 2023.
Unveiling Unmatched Insights
In 2023, SPS continued in its commitment to provide unparalleled deal sourcing insights to PE investors with the release of three compelling annual reports. These analyses have become essential resources for professionals seeking a unique perspective on market activity and the business development landscape. While access to customized reports based on specific investment criteria is an advantage exclusive to SPS clients, we are dedicated to providing valuable market perspectives and fostering informed decision-making within the industry at large.
Browse our free annual reports for a look back at key trends influencing the dealmaking environment as we enter the new year, and stay tuned for new installments in 2024:
- 2023 Deal Sourcing Databook
- 2023 Deal Origination Benchmark Report
- 2023 Private Equity Harvest Report
Deal Sourcing POVs
2024 marked a significant stride in our mission to amplify unique perspectives in deal sourcing through our digital programming efforts. With twelve insightful installments to our Source Talks podcast in 2023, we had the privilege of interviewing PE origination leaders, delving into their experiences, challenges, and triumphs. Review 2023’s memorable guest list here.
Amidst economic headwinds, SPS also facilitated forums to share important market outlooks from industry experts. Our quarterly webinars brought together top minds across a range of PE, lender, and advisor firms, illuminating the path forward for our clients and friends. In any market conditions, we stay steadfast in our commitment to equip PE professionals with the tools to navigate the uncertainties of the market, turning challenges into opportunities. Refresh your memory of last year’s market activity through a look at our 2023 webinars.
SPS Q4 2023 Deal Sourcing Webinar – How to Land More Great Deals in 2024
Guiding the Pack with Data Insights
At SPS, we know that knowledge is power, and that data can be a force for disruption. As stewards of progress in the world of PE deal sourcing, we took our role of delivering relevant, timely, and actionable information very seriously in 2023, thoughtfully sharing insights aimed to guide an information-driven vision for the industry’s future. Below are some of our top thought leadership pieces from the year:
- ACG Boston – Northeast Market Update from SPS Founder & CEO Nadim Malik
- The Science of Deal Sourcing 101 – 9th Edition
- New Rules of the Game – Dealmaking in the Fed’s New Regime
- Mezzanine Market Perspectives 2023
The Science of Deal Sourcing 101 – 9th Edition, Median Deals Originated vs. % Closed
Elevating Excellence: SPS Product Enhancements
Our dedicated Product Team was hard at work in 2023, developing cutting-edge tools, refining data granularity, and optimizing workflows. Enhancements to the SPS platform in 2023 include:
- Revamped Enterprise Value (EV) Ranges:
- The former $1,000+ MM EV range has been replaced with three additional options, offering a more nuanced view of transaction-level data. The new EV ranges are as follows: $10-49 MM, $50-249 MM, $250-499 MM, $500-749 MM, $750-999 MM, $1,000-1,999 MM (New), $2,000-4,999 MM (New), $5,000+ MM (New).
- Upgraded Firm Profiles:
- Upgraded – Info Tabs: Info Tabs have been enhanced across all Firm and Professional profiles, allowing clients to access deal volume statistics by Sector and Deal Size based on the trailing three-year period.
- New – M&A Ecosystem: The M&A Ecosystem tab highlights which firms have closed the most deals together over the trailing three-year period, revealing partnership networks and synergies.
- New – Pipeline Tab: The Pipeline tab on all Intermediary profiles is tailored to each SPS client and contains the trading status of all deals sourced from that specific advisor.
- New – Exits Tab: The Exits tab on all Investor profiles presents a list of transactions where that firm served as the Seller.
Promoting Talent Development:
With a shared value for continuous improvement, SPS team members progressed in their areas of focus, with multiple team members being promoted in recognition of their contributions. Brenden Gobell was promoted to Managing Director, Ken Hoefer was promoted to Senior Research Analyst, and James Quinn promoted to Senior Research Analyst. Our team also grew with the addition of two exceptional professionals to our New York office. Jackson McNear joined as a Research Analyst, and Mia Sonberg as a Digital Marketing Specialist, bringing fresh perspectives and skills that complement our existing strengths. We are excited to have them on board as we continue to expand our impact in 2024.
Inspiring Engagement – At Home and In Our Community
Beyond professional achievements, our team prioritized fostering a positive and collaborative work culture. From our bustling New York City office to serene mountain hikes upstate and the excitement of attending a Broadway show together, we cherished the moments that brought us closer as a team.
SPS November team hike, Minnewaska State Park
With gratitude for the opportunities afforded to us, we gave back in 2023 by participating in Bain & Company’s city-wide Service Day, spending a day working on projects to enhance one of our city’s public schools. During the holiday season, we also continued our cherished team tradition of partnering with the OneSimpleWish foundation, sponsoring each employee to fulfill a wish for individuals in the foster care system.
As we wrap up a year filled with achievements, challenges, and moments of growth, SPS stands poised for an even more promising future. We’re grateful for the opportunity to serve the private equity and M&A industry as the quintessential deal sourcing analytics resource. As we step forward into the unknown, we remain relentless in our pursuit of innovation, collaboration, and impact. Here’s to a successful 2023 and the exciting opportunities that lie ahead.